20 pin PSU on a 24 pin mobo

gabber82 18:55 08 Nov 06

What would the problems be if i connected a 20 pin PSU to a 24 pin motherboard? Would it work and if so what could i expect?

Totally-braindead 19:02 08 Nov 06

It wouldn't work. You can buy an adaptor which converts the 20 pins to 24 pins and use that though.
Unless its a decent branded power supply you're as well getting a new one.

GeeGeez0rz 19:09 08 Nov 06

Hi, my brother started the topic.

What ive got at the moment, is the 20pin connector plugged into the 24pin, and the other 4pin power connector plugged in and even though its working, its very flaky

I gather that the 24pin connector is required.

ed-0 19:17 08 Nov 06

" What ive got at the moment, is the 20pin connector plugged into the 24pin, and the other 4pin power connector plugged in and even though its working, its very flaky "

if you mean you have the 4 pin 12v ( 2 black and 2 yellow wires ) connected to the 24 pin block. Shut the machine down now. Take the 4 pin out and buy the adapter.

The 4 pin plug is for the cpu. You could damage the motherboard and the cpu, just for the sake of a couple of quid.

GeeGeez0rz 19:19 08 Nov 06

No, i mean i have the 4pin power connector, plugged into the 4pin power socket on the motherboard. The 20 pin power connector, plugged into the 24pin power socket on the motherboard.
Apologies if i didnt make that clear.

ed-0 19:26 08 Nov 06

Thats Ok then. :-)

You need to get the 24 pin to 20 pin adapter. you are not putting the correct current through the motherboard.

Totally-braindead 19:28 08 Nov 06

It'll crash and do all sorts of weird things, buy the adaptor.

GeeGeez0rz 20:02 08 Nov 06

Oh righty :)

Thanks for your help :D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…