20 minutes to log off

cdb 17:29 18 Apr 05

A little story from last week

My pc was fine until last week when I downloaded MSN Messenger7 (I was using 7beta with no probs before this) My the updated version wouldn't work so I uninstalled it and went back to 7beta, this now wouldn't work. I ended up doing a system restore which sorted the problem.

Someone else went on the PC and updated MSN Messenger again :S it wouldn't work. All my system restore points had disappeared so I couldn't sort it out. Eventually I sussed out that Norton was blocking it, although Norton hadn't blocked it before (so why now?) I couldn't find anything to change in Norton so gave up. MSN mesenger 7 eventually decided it was going to work without me changing anything. :O

Since then, quite often when I log off it takes around 20minutes. From clicking on log off, it will sit there for ages before anything starts closing down, then eventually you're left with just the background picture, then you will get the logging off screen and after about 20mins or so, it finally logs off.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what's happened?

Thanks in advance.

I'm running winXP, amd athalon 1800, NIS2005, messenger7

Pooke100 17:33 18 Apr 05

I would get rid of boggy NIS2005, I kept it a few (painful) months. But in regards to messenger sorry I don't use it.

VoG II 17:35 18 Apr 05

click here and scroll down to Shutdown works but its real slow.

rawprawn 17:39 18 Apr 05

Try a system file scan Start / Run / Type sfc /scannow and OK. You may need your XP disc. NB. note the space between sfc and/

cdb 18:18 18 Apr 05

Thanks guys

VoG :- I don't appear to have gpedit.msc so I can't try some of those things

Pookie100 :- I've never had a problem with Norton (I know others have) so I'll keep it for now.

rawprawn :- I'll try the sfc /scannow shortly but I don't think I have an XP disc as such :S

p;3 18:26 18 Apr 05

am on win 98se and was going to suggest; try completely closing and exiting MSN and remove icon from system tray ; that is what I have done to help mine to close properly, else it too lingers::))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…