20" LCD monitor doesn't display right

Johnnn 16:56 04 Jan 09

Hi All

Bought my grandson a new LCD flatscreen Telly and have acquired his old 20" flatscreen. It conects up ok to the PC & displays the images ok (desktop, screensavers, etc) but the fonts are all broken up and are impossible to read. Been through everything I can think off but no luck as yet. Upgraded all the graphics software without a positive result. The Catalyst Control Center shows all the details of my other flat screen monitors but the new one. I presume that I need the monitor drivers but cannot locate them anywhere. The monitor is Technika 20 LCD - 106. Have done this numerous times but never encountered this, sods law it would happen on my own machine.

badhair1963 17:02 04 Jan 09

Try running Windows Update, assuming you haven't already done so. Also, is the power supply up to the job?

Johnnn 17:29 04 Jan 09

Done update but doesn't recognise it. Plug n' Play installed correctly but also does'nt change anything. Power supply ok.
Thanks. Looking for needle in a haystack hopefully trying to find a solution.

canarieslover 17:35 04 Jan 09

What resolution do you have it set at? what is the native resolution of the screen? Is it Widescreen? Monitors do not actually need drivers, the graphics card does the driving.

Johnnn 22:39 04 Jan 09

It's set 1280 x 1024. The screen can be set to a Max of 1600 x 1200. The resolution is not the problem. The Data Display Channel(DDC)is not recognised and therefore the problem. The 99% of screens don't need it but unfortunately this does. That's why I'm hoping this cure the problem.

woodchip 22:43 04 Jan 09

Start in Safe Mode and remove your old Monitor from device manager

Johnnn 12:24 11 Jan 09

Thanks Woodchip. Solved the problem. Knew it would be something simple. Problem was I was running 2 screens, uninstalled both, reinstalled the 20", then my 2nd screen and Bingo. Thanks

woodchip 14:50 11 Jan 09

At Last, Good to see it did it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…