2 XP problems.......

drew645 18:36 20 Dec 03

I would appreciate comment on a couple of XP problems. I run 2 copies of XP on separate but adjacent partitions. (1 is work, 1 is play!) I found when I ran Spybot it listed shared DLLs for a game on the other partition. When I deleted them the game wouldn't run on the other partition.
I had to reload it, and notice again the other partition shows shared DLLs. I didn't delete this time, and game runs fine.I thought seperate partitions were completely divorced from each other. I use Partitionmagic, and loaded from Norton Ghost.
My second problem is trivial but irritating. When I connect to the internet a yellow "balloon" comes up over the connected icon in the taskbar to say "you are now connected to Tesco net". I know this as I have the taskbar icon, and have to cancel the balloon. Anyway I can stop it appearing on connection? I admit it's trivial but it really annoys me!
Any help gratefully received.
Regards,
Andrew

liveD Backwards 18:43 20 Dec 03

you can tell spybot which partitions to check for spyware. Whilst the two partitions are separate, they can still both be seen by the other installation. Would it not be easier to use two separate logins on the one XP installation rather than two installations.

There is a powertoy available from Microsoft called Tweak UI, within the powertoy is an option to disable balloon tips...this would solve the annoying popup balloon problem.

spikeychris 18:50 20 Dec 03

Or just open the reg and find this Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Find EnableBalloonTips, on the right and set it equal to 0. IE: double click it and type 0 (zero)

drew645 18:54 20 Dec 03

Thanks liveD Backwards, I'll take your advice on both problems.
As always I'm amazed by the speed and helpfulness of the forum.
Best regards,
Andrew

spikeychris 19:09 20 Dec 03

Be like that then.... ;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…