2 wireless PCs interfering with each other?

number cruncher 22:26 21 Jan 05

I've just got a Belkin wireless router and 2 identical PCs with wireless cards, and after some troubles with virus software (Panda) which seemed to stop the PCs connecting to the router, both of them will now individually connect. However, if both are on at the same time, only one will connect to the network properly - the other keeps connecting and losing the connection every few seconds.

Not sure if it helps, but I've allocated the PCs (different) static IP addresses.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing this interference?

Chezdez 22:36 21 Jan 05

is the same PC that loses the signal all the time? or does it flick between them?

how far are the computers from the router and AP (acces point)?

number cruncher 23:01 21 Jan 05

It flicks between them - the one which is connected 'first' seems to keep the connection, the other one has the intermittent connection.

One computer is about 2 metres directly above the router, the other is 5-10 metres away. Forgot to mention, everything is using 802.11g.

Chezdez 19:22 23 Jan 05

hmmm, strange

what model is the router?

number cruncher 20:17 24 Jan 05

The router is a Belkin one. We think we sorted it by changing the wireless security from WPA to WEP (not entirely sure of the difference myself, but a friend suggested changing security settings and it seemed to work), but although we have had both connecting wirlessly at the same time, one of the PCs now keeps crashing, so we don't know if that is related or not.

The crashing may or may not be related to the Panda virus software which is still part-loaded (the uninstall didn't work properly, and now won't run at all) on one of the machines, but for now the wireless bit is the least of my worries! Currently expecting to have to reinstall everything on that PC...

number cruncher 20:21 24 Jan 05

Spot the deliberate mistake - its a Belkin "ADSL Modem with Built-In Wireless Router" F5D7630uk4A,if that helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…