2 Vista laptops, 1 signal fair - 1 excellent why ?

shanklyn 08:13 05 Feb 09

I have two laptops in my household, both running Vista. When they are side by side 1 Samsung is showing a wireless signal as fair and the other an Acer is showing as excellent, but why ?

The Samsung lately seems to have an intermittent connection, sometimes ok for a few hours then it goes. As I play a lot of online poker this is a big problem for me.

I have noticed that when you go to Network and sharing centre when you click diagnose it sometimes says there is no problem (even though there cross is there and sometimes it says there is. It always reconnects though.

Many thanks in advance

rawprawn 08:38 05 Feb 09

Try WinsocFix click here

woodchip 08:52 05 Feb 09

Most likely the Onboard WiFi Chips is Different

woodchip 08:56 05 Feb 09

What Wireless Modem Chip is the Samsung using. Look in Device Manager, Not at the Dial Up Modem. Look in Networking for Wireless

shanklyn 09:15 05 Feb 09

Thanks guys, woodchip did you mean in network adapters ? If so mine is an Atheros AR5005G wireless network adapter .

Marko797 09:24 05 Feb 09

I was advised by someone on the forum that one laptop might be interfering with the other - signal wise.

Wife's vista laptop would keep losing connection, while mine (xp) had no problems.

I ended up doing a bit of a Heath Robinson thing...stuck an empty loo roll tube on the aeriel of my router, wrapped foil around it to create a C shape hopefully acting as a signal reflector and pointed it in the general room direction where we sat. Believe it or not, it worked. Bizarre.

shanklyn 09:29 05 Feb 09

Thanks Marko but the second laptop has only just been purchased and this problem has been going on for some time. The router is in the next room also in a small house.

Marko797 09:40 05 Feb 09

It might be the case that u might need to adjust your network card properties via Device Manager, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to advise further.

If I were u, I'd close this post and start a new one in Networking where the gurus on this type of thing hang out. Mgmc or Ambra are the experts I recall.

woodchip 14:55 05 Feb 09

First try changing the Wireless channel used in the Router Settings page

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos