2 Versions of XP Home.Help.!!!!

geordielad307 13:40 19 Nov 04

Hi Guys, :-) OK, a litlle history to start.

I have a Medion laptop. I am living in Germany. The laptop has XP Home O/S. in German.

I was unable to get any real satisfaction from this, so I bought a XP Home edition CD from EBay and had a German friend install it. He did not unistall the German version as he was unsure how to do this. Now I have some problems :-

I cannot install anti-virus or firewall ( on the new XP )as the two programmes would cause conflict.

I cannot play any music or videos as there is no sound. All areas greyed out on in Sounds and Audio devices......... The sound device is still active in the German version though. ( Works fine. )

I can switch between both versions, but this is not always covenient, as you may imagine.

When scrolling the page scrolls in a wave formation. Very irritating.

I have sharp "bleep" any time I cick on a link, or do something that XP thinks is a wrong move. This bleep is not the one normally associated with Caps or Num lock . I have disabled that to prove the point.

Can I uninstall the German version of XP, and how should I go about it? Will uninstalling the German version cause further problems?

Many thanks for any guideance.

Technotiger 13:55 19 Nov 04

Gutentag - I am no expert but I would advise ...
a: backup-save any prog's you want to keep.
b: reformat hd.
c: do a clean install of xp from your new disc.
I would think that two versions on one comp would cause unwanted strange results. Best to start clean. viel gluck.

geordielad307 15:16 19 Nov 04

Vielen Dank mein Freund. Bill. LOL. :-)

Technotiger 18:02 19 Nov 04

TomJerry 18:21 19 Nov 04

you only do format if you got all drive software CDs. You normally get this with Laptop or you can ask one from laptop maker.

You need all drivers otherwise new installtion will not work properly such as sound card does not work.

If you do not have driver software, you can try to back them up using programs such as Windriver Ghost, Driver Genius Pro or Drivermagic Pro.

Last point, software from Ebay sounds dodgy to me.

alnwrd 18:31 19 Nov 04

Have you got xp home installed on separate partitions on your hard drive? I assume you have because when xp is installed, it asks which partition to install on. If so why not use a prog like partition magic or similar freeware to delete the partition with the German version.

geordielad307 21:14 22 Nov 04

Thanks to all responders. Problems WERE cured by downloading all the drivers which HAD NOT been installed by my " expert." LOL.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…