2 USB or not 2 USB?

Bargee 11:36 10 Jan 03
  Bargee 11:36 10 Jan 03

I have USB 1 on my current machines & am thinking of using a USB drive to transfer data between them. As the connectors are at the back, I would like to use a USB hub to make connection of USB devices easier. Question: is there any point in attaching a USB 2 hub to my USB 1 connectors & if I do, will I lose the faster connectivity of USB 2? Would I be better off adding a USB 2 expansion card as well as a hub. I want the ability to attach future USB peripherals which will probably be USB 2. I know that you can attach USB 1 to USB 2 on some hubs, but I do not want to make any mistakes.

DieSse 12:33 10 Jan 03

If you use a USB2 hub via a USB1 output, you will be limited to USB1 - the hub can't make the port it is plugged into any faster.

The best bet is to get a 4-port USB2 card, and leave cable(s) connected to have easier access.

Weeby Vuit 12:35 10 Jan 03

u can also get a 4 USB's for the front of the computer it takes up 1 floppy or cd slot

Holographic_man 12:46 10 Jan 03

I agree with diesse, i have a 2 port belkin pci card and after that a hub and i run all my peripherals no problems. I might add make sure the PCI slot you choose does not share it with you old USB slots. Check your mobo manual

LastChip 14:37 10 Jan 03

I have come across machines that refuse to allow older peripherals to work with USB2, although my understanding is, it is supposed to be backward compatible.

So keep your USB1 ports (just in case), and do as the others have suggested.

vinnyT 15:28 10 Jan 03

This from the scan today only page
Scan 2 Port USB2.0 PCI Card & 3 Port Internal 3.5" USB2 Hub £16.75 £19.68

click here

Bargee 16:11 10 Jan 03

Resolved in spades! Thanks to all of you, most appreciated.

accord 16:25 10 Jan 03

hopefully you are using Windows 98SE and above, but go with the PCI card, its a sinch to install and use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…