2 sata drives

chippy+ 14:40 28 Dec 10

hi
i am going to fit a new 500gb sata drive at the moment i have a 80gb which i would like to make as 2nd drive for data as this drive has an operating system installed on it how do i go about fitting both drives, ps i have an acronis image of the 80gb drive thanks Chippy

jamesd1981 16:38 28 Dec 10

use acronis to copy your windows partion from your 80gb drive to your new 500gb drive, it should keep the partion size automatically, then format the rest of your 500gb drive to ntfs, once your happy it is booting your new drive ok, then format your old 80gb drive for you files, do remember to swap your sata cables on the board, your boot drive should always been in the sata 1 port.

gengiscant 17:04 28 Dec 10

If I were you I would leave the operating system where it is and use the larger 500GB drive for all your data.
As to fitting just connect a power supply and a data cable to a spare port on the motherboard and you are good to go.

jamesd1981 17:13 28 Dec 10

are both you sata drives 7200rpm, and what mb cache do they have.

john bunyan 17:23 28 Dec 10

I agree with gengiscant, 80 gig should be enough for programmes. If you want to know how th keep e Mails on your data disc, come back - I keep mine in a folder in "My Documents" and the whole folder with music, photos etc is synched wit a mirror image to yet another USB drive using Freefilesynch.(Very quick as it only copies files that have changed) Acronis is needed for backing up the drive with programmes on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009