2 routers, 1 network?

ijit 21:51 02 Nov 05

Hi y'all

I have a long house with thick walls, and the single wireless router I had didn't reach everyone (4 computers in the family). I have therefore purchased a new wireless router. First router is Apple Airport Extreme (very useful: it has a USB port for a printer), new router is US Robotics 8454.

Configuration is:

NTL cable modem -> us robotics -> apple (these connections by ethernet).

Now, at the moment the two routers have different SSIDs (so I can tell which I'm connecteing to). However the computer connected to the us robotice router does not see the 3 connected to the apple router - nor vice versa. But the 3 connected to the apple router all see each other.

On each computer, I have "set up a home or small office network", all with the same name.

I don't understand the relationship between the SSID and the workgroup name. Is there one? If I gave both routers the same SSID, would that help?

Thanks for any suggestions

mgmcc 11:30 03 Nov 05

The SSID is the name of the wireless network, it is just a name to identify it. For file sharing across the network, all computers need to be in the same "Workgroup", which is the network's name within Microsoft Windows Networking.

For your four computers to see one another, they need to be in the *same* subnet. For example if some PCs have IP addresses in the 192.168.1.x range and others in 192.168.2.x with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 the two ranges cannot communicate. If you are able to change the subnet mask throughout the two networks (which is effectively what you have) to 255.255.0.0 they may then all see each other.

ijit 12:14 12 Nov 05

Hi - thanks for your suggestsions mgmcc. (I'm afraid it's taken me a while to find time to be able to play with the networks while no-one else is using them). I had no idea what the subnet mask was for before.

I can set the subnet mask on the USR router, but not it seems on the apple one. So I tried giving both networks the same first 3 pars of teh IP addresses: 192.168.123.xxx, with xxx=100-199 on the usr router and xxx=1-50 on the apple. But this only has the effect of not allowing me to connect to the internet through the apple router (I don't understand why, but that was the result!).

Question: on the settings for the apple router, there's a choice between
- share a single IP address (using DHCP & NAT)
or
- share a range of IP addresses (using only DHCP)
any idea what that means? Does it mean that the apple router would just act as a "bridge", and all IP addreses would be distributed by its host USR router?

ijit 16:31 12 Nov 05

... ctd ...
So I tried that last option (share a range of IP addresses), and everything can see everything else ... except ... the network printer. I can no longer print over the network! Even though the apple configuration utility says that the remote printer access is eabled. The printer (a samsung laser) is connected to the apple router by usb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac