2 router to same broadband

hgrock 08:48 01 Apr 09

hi jus t a question i was asked by my neigbour but i didnt know so i thought i would ask, he has his router upstairs 3rd floor signal to the laptop downstairs is poor, he is woundering if he installs another router into a phone socket downstars would it work or cause a problem,

^wave^ 08:58 01 Apr 09

as i see it only one router will be allowed to log in can he not just move the router down stairs or even to the middle of the place 2nd floor

interzone55 09:12 01 Apr 09

It is possible to use two routers on the same home network, this guide may help you
click here

But it's probably best if he gets some of the Homeplug ethernet adaptors to extend the network through the house, the plug a WiFi access point into a Homeplug adaptor downstairs

Homeplug adaptors
click here

Access Point
click here

LinH 09:22 01 Apr 09

hgrock

Yes, it can be done but he will only be able to use one router at a time. I tried using two routers a couple of months ago and the setup worked fine, the only caveat being that you must turn one router off before switching on the second router.

A far better option, as alan14 points out are Homeplug adaptors, I tried two of these and have had no problems since, they worked immediately straight out of the box.

LinH

Diemmess 09:22 01 Apr 09

Sometimes simple re-orientation can do the trick.
Try the rounter on its side, or move it to the other side of the room.

I assume the router is hard wired to a PC on the 3rd floor.

Second thoughts, Is he using the master phone socket, or is there a very long extension lead anywhere between router, PC, and the phone socket. If so roughly how long?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…