2 questions...

Josquius 11:46 28 Sep 03

I am going to have to reformat my computer and I believe this is also a good time to update which windows I have on my computer from windows98se.

1. Which windows is best? My school had XP and I hated it, it was very hard to use. A friend says ME is like 98 but more stable however other people say ME is evil. So which one should I go for and why?

2. With my motherboard there was a programme called 'partition magic' will this allow me to create a partition, move stuff I need to keep onto it, reformat the c drive and reinstall, copy my stuff back onto c then get rid of the d partition? Or will I have to splash out on some more CDRWs?

Brian-336451 11:48 28 Sep 03

I run XP with all the 'bells and whistles' turned off.

It works beautifully and is stable and reliable.

Say no more.

no1ghoul 12:00 28 Sep 03

I know that it is A bit different to win 98 to begin with but after just a little while of using it I could no longer go back to any other windows os.
xp is stable and for the most part helpful too

-pops- 12:06 28 Sep 03

XP is not hard to use when you have familiarised yourself with it.

Like anything, it can take a bit of getting used to.

In my opinion, ME is not the best thing that M$ ever produced and if you want to avoid XP then go with 98SE rather than ME. Bear in mind though that both of these are rapidly becoming obsolete.

No, go for XP.

A far a Partition Magic is concerned, the copy you have is probably old and out of date. As for its vitrues, click here I should add, though, that I have been computing a good number of years and never found the need for Partition Magic or anything similar.

Mysticnas 12:09 28 Sep 03

really hate XP then go for win2K.

MAJ 12:26 28 Sep 03

1. Don't go for ME, either stick with 98SE, or go for 2000 or XP.

2. Partition magic (taking -pops- caution about the version used) will do those things you mentioned, EXCEPT, it will not copy your stuff for you to copy back later, to do that you need something like Norton's Ghost or Drive Image. Of course you can just copy across the files and copy those back (after formatting c:) using Windows Explorer, but it (Windows Explorer) wont work for programs, you'll have to re-install those from their original disks.

Josquius 13:48 28 Sep 03

Yeah I obviously meant copying the programmes myself.

Windows 2000? I thought that was just windows ME...
agghhhh. I currently have windows 98se however I find I need to reformat every 6 months or so otherwise my computer gets like it is now with some stuff not working at all (half life...) and other stuff crashing every 5 minutes (office, internet, etc...)
Is there a site or something comparing them (non-microsoft of course)?

palinka 19:12 28 Sep 03

I have 2 systems, one runs ME the other XP. Both in my experience equally stable. Don't like the "look" of XP, but as MS stops supporting OSs after a while I'm forced to admit that you're probably better off installing XP.

wiznyme 19:27 28 Sep 03

Microsoft obviously consider Windows ME to be the most perfect, straight out of the box operating system they ever produced.

They showed this by the fact that it's the only version of Windows that they didn't feel the need to release a service pack for.

Of course another way of looking at it is that they immediatly realised what a poor excuse for an operating system it was, gave up on it and started work on Windows 2000

a member 19:39 28 Sep 03

I biult my own PC last feb, after nearly two years of windows ME , i decided to opt for XP, but after about three months of getting used to it , I went back to ME, the only department i found that XP was better was working with DVDs.
after a couple of verygood articles by flecc , i am now using an HyperOS system with four installs of ME and two of XP , one fat32 and one NTFS, all running on a raid O configured drive.
Ihave never seen a BSOD with ME , and for most (but not all) computer tasks it performs every bit as good as XP, in some cases a lot faster.

wiznyme 19:48 28 Sep 03

Personally never liked ME felt it to be more like a downgrade from 98SE.

Had it on my system for about 1 month then went back to 98.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…