2 Problems With Windows Media Player 9 & DVDs

Jester2K II 14:47 11 Dec 03

Windows Media Player 9.0.0.3075

PowerDVD 3.0 installed (for the DVD Codec)

Windows XP Home

I been playing DVDs whilst working the last fews day and have noticed two things.

1) WMP doesn't know what the DVDs are. They always show as Unknown DVD. CDs are detected and the CCDB info appears fine but not DVDs

2) Some DVDs play fine and some are out of sync with vision and speech. Is there a re reason for this. It appears to get worse the longer the DVD is played for....

Jester2K II 14:59 11 Dec 03

Power DVD detects the names ok but sound is still out of sync...

Stuartli 15:09 11 Dec 03

There are patches for various PowerDVD versions on the Cyberlink website which may help.

I'm on PowerDVD 5 and added the patch about a month ago (didn't notice any obvious difference as DVDs played OK in any case).

It could be your graphics card or its driver.

The reason I found out about the patches was because a pal with a Banshee card couldn't play DVDs using PowerDVD 4; always got a message about the TV out port being disabled.

The patch didn't help at the time, but updating the graphics card driver with the final Banshee driver (for a Guillimot Maxi Plus) did the trick.

Jester2K II 15:54 11 Dec 03

Do you have a link to Cyberlink?

I've been toying with getting PowerDVD XP (5) from alocal store. I didn't notice this problem when i was watching LOTR yesterday, but today "I'm Alan Partridge" is all over the place...

Graphics Drivers are newish.

Jester2K II 16:01 11 Dec 03

Sorted problem 2 (sync problem) As i was listening to the commentary track i noticed the actual program track was out of sync. Switching back to the normal track puts the sound back in sync but the sound track seems to be out of sync on the commentary track...

Phew....

Jester2K II 16:13 11 Dec 03

Scrap the above...

I'll try getting PowerDVD XP and newer drivers..

Stuartli 16:59 11 Dec 03

Website link is:

click here

Patches through:

click here

By the way not heard of PowerDVD XP - latest version is 5.

Stuartli 17:01 11 Dec 03

There is an XP update and patch for Version 3.0 - could save yourself some money...:-)

Jester2K II 17:20 11 Dec 03

I'll try the patch but i'm sure i've already got it.

Only £8 OEM PowerDVD 5 (PowerDVD XP was 4 apparently)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…