2 problems - Motherboard?

Trikie 12:24 18 Jan 05

XP Home with 1GHz Pentium lll does not recognise second hard disk, at startup I have to use F1 to get in.It also does not recognise the CD drive.

I've been offered the suggestion it could be the motherboard (computer is just 3 years old) The invoice lists the motherboard as Legend QDI Advance(VIA Apollo Pro 133A Chipset FCPGA).

How easy is it for a novice to replace a motherboard and is the same one still available? If not, what is an equivalent? Any guidance on cost welcomed.

LeadingMNMs 12:27 18 Jan 05

Do you mean XP doesn't detect it, or it is not seen in the BIOS ?

Trikie 12:51 18 Jan 05

Not sure (I said I am a novice!)

The very first screen after switching on includes a division symbol agaist Secondary Master and on the next line Secondary master hard disk fail.

Set Up Standard CMOS Features (is this the BIOS?) lists
IDE Primary Master Maxtor 6Y080L0
IDE Primary Slave Lite-On-LTR-24102B
IDE Secondary Master -just a blank space
IDE Secondary Slave None
Drive A 1.44M 3.5in
Drive B None

The CD drive was E

bazb 13:26 18 Jan 05

Hi Trikie

your set up would be better if you put your 2nd Hard drive as the Primary Slave and your CD rom as the Secondary Master.

Make sure that the jumper settings are correct, 2nd Hard Drive set to slave or cable select, this depends upon what the jumper settings are on you main Hard Drive.

CD rom jumper settings to master or cable select, make sure the Ide cables are fitted the corect way round.

bazb 13:38 18 Jan 05

Hi Trikie

read this click here, it should help you to set up your drives.

Trikie 14:22 18 Jan 05

Thanks bazb.

That's too technical for me but I have a friend who will help. Does this mean that it's not the motherboard?

SEASHANTY 15:20 18 Jan 05

There is also detailed help info on the PCTechguide.

Go to click here and click on the link marked TUTORIALS on the left hand side of the page. Then follow instructions for fitting a second hard drive. Probably nothing wrong with your MB.

SEASHANTY 15:30 18 Jan 05

If your second hard drive has failed you will need
to install another. The Maxtor website gives detailed instructions on how to install a new drive.
Go to this link click here and click on the "Install Guide" which is in .pdf format.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…