2 pc's, one monitor - can i buy cabling to switch?

bliksem 09:29 29 Apr 03

Hi All,

Is there cabling available to share a monitor between 2 pc's with a switching box ? Anyone know where I can look ?

Thanks.

D

DieSse 09:36 29 Apr 03

Look in any large online retailers (dabs for example) for a KVM swtch and VGA extension cables (for the PCs to the box).

Belatucadrus 10:11 29 Apr 03

Try Netshop for cables and switches click here

TimC 10:18 29 Apr 03

I use this set-up, and can highly recommend it.

The switch boxes have moved on tremendously since the early days. Not only is the monitor shared, but you can share the mouse and keyboard too - mine shares up to 4 PCs!

This is great for home-working, fortunately I also have a docking station for my laptop, so have everything permanently connected.

One thing to watch out for, and I haven't investigated it, if your mouse or keyboard are USB or 'cordless' you might have problems sharing them.

Another quirk I had was that my HP monitor has a built in microphone and the cable is built into the monitor cable, but the switch box was not next to that PC - Asda was the only retailer I found with the right extension cable - you could find it on-line, but I wanted to see the cable to be absolutely sure it had the right connectors. You might have a similar issue if your monitor has built in speakers, now if you wanted to share them between the two machines as well, that's another matter.

Giant68 10:25 29 Apr 03

I bought a KVM switch from click here for about £20, it comes with all cables, and while it may not be in a fancy case like some others it does what it says on the tin!

Giant68

Tenner 10:42 29 Apr 03

Can you explain the huge diffeence in price between Netshop and dabs' offerings, please ?

click here and click here or am I missing something ? Do they offer the same functions ?

TimC, which model of switch box are you using that is obviously so versatile ?

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…