2 PCs, 1 Monitor.

Andy 09:07 20 Oct 03

Can you please help?

Iv'e just bought a new Dell 8300 and it's fantastic. It ordered it with a huge flat panel monitor.

I also have an older Dell which has many programs that are not compatible with Windows XP.

I would like to know if there is any way that I can share the new monitor betwean the 2 PCs without having to mess about swapping cables.

Any help gratefuly appreciated.

Regards,

Andy.

leo49 09:21 20 Oct 03

In theory there is - using a KVM switch setup.This is a "junction" box into which your keyboard,monitor and mouse are plugged with leads then going to each PC and you're supposed to be able to switch between the 2 PC's by hotkey.

I've just built a new PC so bought one of these to do the same as you propose. A week later I'm still trying to get it to function correctly. I do know someone whose KVM works quite happily but I haven't cracked it yet. I bought the Belkin setup and the little manual states that some special keyboard/mouseware can cause it not to work correctly.

Andy 09:27 20 Oct 03

Hi Leo49,

Thanks for you reply.

I think you may be right about software conflicts. I use Logitech cordless mouse and keyboard and that took a lot of fiddling about with to make it work properly with just the one PC. They are also USB devices and I think the Belkin switch might only accept older formats.

Thanks anyway for the help. I will give it a try.

Refards,

Andy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…