2 pcs 1 broadband connection what router/hub?

howard60 20:34 29 Aug 05

I have been asked to set up 2 pensioners so that they can use the broadband connection which has a bt voyager adsl modem with a usb lead for connecting to a pc. They rarely have both pcs on at the same time so I need to supply them with I believe a router/hub which the usb lead from the adsl modem can plug into and then a patch cable to each pc. Both have an rj45 ethernet socket. At present they unplug the usb lead from 1 pc to plug into the second. Any advice would be appreciated.

mgmcc 20:54 29 Aug 05

<<<I need to supply them with I believe a router/hub which the usb lead from the adsl modem can plug into>>>

No, you need a combined "Router/ADSL Modem" to which the networked PCs connect by ethernet cable. You cannot use a USB modem in conjunction with a router.

howard60 21:06 29 Aug 05

thanks for that

AldoPowers 12:35 30 Aug 05

If you get the BT 205 Voyager that has an ethernet connection and a USB connection. Both connections will work at the same time or independently.

AldoPowers 12:36 30 Aug 05

If you get the BT 205 Voyager that has an ethernet connection and a USB connection. Both connections will work at the same time or independently.

BigMoFoT 16:08 30 Aug 05

Dlink products - easy to use and upgrade firmware etc, good documentation and support, very reliable. Not necessarily the cheapest tho...

howard60 06:52 31 Aug 05

thanks all I have advised them of the crossover alternative at about £5 as opposed to about £40 for the privalege of only having 1 pc on if they want.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…