2 PC's - 1 for Backup, that easy?

wotbus@ 11:01 08 Sep 04

Browsing PC section of large store recently I saw (and almost bought) a cable to connect 2 PC's together for the sole reason of passing files. I am fortunate enough to have 2 PC's; modern with XP and older with Me. My question is this: If I bought this cable could I use it to backup files from my new (in regular use) PC onto the HDD of my older (redundant and not in regular use) PC - is it that simple or do the operating systems have to be the same? Any advice would be welcome and thanks in advance.

TomJerry 11:43 08 Sep 04

os different, no problem.

But you can get the cable cheaper online

USB1 version £5.87: Ebuyer USB File Transfer Cable For Data Communication 5MBPS Data Transfer Rate 2MTR Retail Box click here

USB2 version £11.74 Ebuyer USB 2.0 Datalink Cable Retail Blister Pack, click here

TomJerry 11:44 08 Sep 04

os different, no problem.

But you can get the cable cheaper online

USB1 version £5.87: Ebuyer USB File Transfer Cable For Data Communication 5MBPS Data Transfer Rate 2MTR Retail Box click here

USB2 version £11.74 Ebuyer USB 2.0 Datalink Cable Retail Blister Pack, click here

wotbus@ 12:48 08 Sep 04

OK TomJerry - thanks for the advice and the links. Much obliged.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…