2 Operating systems

help me please ? 03:36 23 Dec 05

i hav windows xp home edition and would like to install xp pro, i want 2 keep my xp home edition,
i want 2 partion my hard drive but do i need 2 make another primary partion or a logical partion.

mgmcc 08:32 23 Dec 05

It doesn't actually matter - I have been running a dual boot 98SE/XP setup with 98SE in a Primary Partition and XP Pro in a Logical Drive within an Extended Partition. If I remember correctly, I didn't actually set it up that way, I installed XP into the "Unallocaated Space" on the hard drive and XP's Setup configured it that way. You don't need to create the partition in advance, as long as there is "Unallocaated Space" for XP Pro to install into.

Having said that, XP supports up to four Primary Partitions and I would have opted for creating another Primary Partition.

help me please ? 16:38 23 Dec 05

not sure

woodchip 16:52 23 Dec 05

You are only allowed one Primary Partitions on one drive, that leaves one option

Zeppelyn 17:40 23 Dec 05

I would create another primary but doesnt matter which you opt for.

woodchip 20:46 23 Dec 05

Then you are using a Partitioning Program as Acronis Disk Manager or Partition Magic, as Fdisk only allows one

GaT7 21:18 23 Dec 05

See "How to create a multiple-boot system in Windows XP" click here.

If you have another hard drive it's quite simple. G

woodchip 21:27 23 Dec 05

From your Link, The resone for this is there is only one Primary Partition. Others go on a Logical.

To Create a Multiple-Boot System with Windows XP and MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me
Note You can only install a single instance of Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me in a multiple-boot configuration. You cannot configure a computer to multiple-boot Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me because each of these platforms use the same boot file. For example, you can use Windows 95, Windows 2000, and Windows XP, but you cannot use Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows XP.

You have to install Windows XP only after installing MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me to prevent these operating systems from overwriting the Windows XP boot sector and the Windows XP startup files.

To create a multiple-boot system with Windows XP and MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows Me:
1. Ensure that your hard disk is formatted with the correct file system.
2. Install the multiple operating systems into separate volumes, in the following order: MS-DOS; Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me; and then Windows XP.
3. Do one of the following:
• If you want a multiple-boot system with MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows Me along with Windows XP, install MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows Me, and then install Windows XP.
• If you want a dual-boot system with Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows Me, along with Windows XP, you should install either Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows Me, and then install Windows XP.
Install each operating system according to the standard installation procedure.

woodchip 21:33 23 Dec 05

Have a read

DOS (and the operating systems that depend on it for booting, which includes all consumer Windows operating systems) will only recognize the active primary partition. Any other primary partitions will be ignored. click here

GaT7 23:22 23 Dec 05

But two of the easiest ways to create a multiboot system are to:

1. Get a second hard drive & install XP Pro on that (in the process, taking care NOT to install it over XP Home on the first drive!), or,

2. Use a program like OSL2000 click here, which at $25/£15, is the cheaper option. G

mgmcc 23:39 23 Dec 05

<<< the link also mentions that a logical drive cannot be bootable? >>>

Windows XP can be installed as a *dual boot* installation in a Logical Drive in an Extended Partition, because the NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM and Boot.ini files are actually placed in the root of "C" drive which has the other operating system in. It is the "C" drive that still has to be bootable, not XP's drive.

If XP is the only operating system, then it would have to be installed in a Primary Partition.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac