2 laptops one broad band ? is it possible?

jonostar 16:49 30 Nov 04

just had band installed . me and partner have laptop each .. both xp and modern.is i tpossible to both be online.. how do we do it without router or hub splitter.. what do we need.. have got etha net cables.. help please..

PsiFox 16:55 30 Nov 04

Well if both laptops have network cards you need a crossover cable and setup internet connection sharing , however the lappy with the modem must be on for the other to gain access.

if they have wireless nic's set up an ad hoc network and again use ICS.

A cheap router means the connection is no longer dependent on 1 laptop always being on.

PsiFox

TomJerry 17:24 30 Nov 04

only you need to through away free modem you got

(1) best way is to do wirelessly, you need one wireless modem router and two wireless cards if your laptops are not wirless ready

D-Link DSL-G604T 54Mbp Wireless ADSL Router w/ DWL-G650+ Laptop Card £78.27 click here

(2) wired solution, you need one adsl modem router, at least one need Ethernet (lan) connection ports (most modem laptop have)

Ebuyer 4 Port ADSL Modem Router £30.54 click here, actually this is a 5 port modem router, one usb and 4 lans.

If noone laptop has lan port, you can get one of those Dynamode PCMCIA Network Card £22.55 click here

Stuartli 17:34 30 Nov 04

There's also plenty of information in XP's Help and Support pages under Networking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac