2 Hour cutoff+2 hour 5 minute download = arg!

Fateful Shadow 12:13 08 Aug 03

As from the title, you can see that I have a two-hour cut-off period with my ISP, and I have an update from Windows that will take 2 hours 5 minutes. In other words...I can't do it...or can I?

I do use Fresh Download, but it doesn't seem to pick up on Windows Updates. Is there any way that I could do this?

Thanks all!

Jester2K II 12:17 08 Aug 03

Not all servers support resume, so you are limited. Either try in the middle of the night or very early in the morning when the rest of the UK is quiet or get a mate with broadband with a CD Writer to get them for you.

Or try at an internet cafe...

Jester2K II 12:18 08 Aug 03

"it doesn't seem to pick up on Windows Updates"

You can copy and paste the URLs into Fresh Download, if you mean when you click on the link FD doesn't grab the URL and take over.

Fateful Shadow 12:31 08 Aug 03

I can't do the copying of the URL's for the Windows Updates. If

Fateful Shadow 12:34 08 Aug 03

Let me continue...

If you go into Windows update via the Programs menu and select all the updates you need, you only have buttons to press. There aren't any URL's availiable.

Unfortunately...I don't live in a broadband enabled area, and no-where near an Internet café. Can I poke around in the settings of Freshdownload to try to override it?

Thanks for the suggestions so far :)

Jester2K II 12:38 08 Aug 03

Oh yes you can.....

Find the number relating to the download you need.

Example

Update says you need update 328310: Windows Has A Critical Problem

Its a 50 Mb Patch. Write down the number and the name of the patch.

Goto www . microsoft . com and enter the number in the search box. (it might say it can't find what you are looking for and show a new search box - try again in this one) You should then find a link to a page dedicated to that patch with a link to download it.

Either click the link and FD will jump in or right click and "Copy Shortcut" and paste into FD.

Example apogee of what i mean

click here .microsoft .com /downloads /details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=12476141-064b-48e4-9c34-d0b3198170fd (remove spaces)

Then once downloaded run the program to install the update.

With new updates it might take a day or two for the page to be up so you might have to wait for it.....

Glyn-252301 12:47 08 Aug 03

Have you been celebrating with Diese, or just a faulty trigger finger? lol. G.

Jester2K II 12:51 08 Aug 03

Been playing Spearhead online since 7:30 this morning. Hair trigger....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced