2 HDD-different speeds.

ribo 11:18 21 Sep 03

Hello there. Can you please tell me if I am correct in thinking that if you have two Hard drives, which have differect speed,then they will both run at the slower speed? seem to think that I have read this somewhere. Thanks. J

mark500 11:34 21 Sep 03

Only if on the same IDE cable.

Jester2K II 11:41 21 Sep 03

Do you mean Spin Speed (5600 rpm / 7200 rpm) or Transfer Rate (ATA 66 / 100 / 133)

Spin Speed is unaffected.

Transfer Rate (i thought) is unaffected on modern Motherboards however I'm probably about to be proved wrong...

ribo 11:47 21 Sep 03

Mark500. They will be on the same ide cable,one master and one slave. Can I make them both master on different ide cable with the slaves in both cases being the CD rom and the DVD drive?

Jester Yes I mean spin rate. one 7200rpm the other 5600rpm. Not sure about the transfer rate. Do they have to be the same? J

Jester2K II 11:49 21 Sep 03

Spin Rates are NOT affected.

Transfer Rate - As i said above i thought modern MoBo could run the two drives at different speeds but watch as someone proves me wrong....

I would put the Hard Drives on one cable and the CD Drives on another...

ribo 11:55 21 Sep 03

Jester, Please excuse my ignorance but I do not know anything about the tranfer rate. How do I find out the rate for each of the HDD's.

Jester2K II 12:00 21 Sep 03

They should have a rating on them like ATA 66, ATA 100 or ATA 133. The higher the number the faster they go!!!

ribo 12:06 21 Sep 03

Thank you very much for your help.I have an IBM 40G HDD 7200rpm ATA 100. I also have (spare) a seagate 40GB HDD 5600rpm. ATA??. Will I be able to install the spare HDD as a slave onto the IDE cable and everything be OK?. If I do this will I need drivers or anything? or will it just be picked up . Windows XP HE. Thanks.J

ribo 17:18 21 Sep 03

Thank you again for your help. I shall just try it and see. I can always take it out. J

DieSse 17:30 21 Sep 03

All modern motherboards (like the one you are using, no doubt) have independant device timing on their IDE channels. That means that no drives will be "slowed down" to match the other one.

You can install both drives on the same IDE cable with no problems, Set the one you are adding as a Slave. You do not need any special drivers.

It doesn't matter which connector you choose if they are jumpered as Master/Slave. It does matter if you use the Cable select jumper settings.

Make sure you have an 80 wire IDE cable for maximum performance.

Try and leave space between them when you mount them, for better cooling

ribo 09:34 23 Sep 03

Diesse Thank you very much for your reply.I do appreciate all the help I get. j

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…