nazrat 20:27 09 Jun 03

i have windows installed one of my hard drives but want to put linux on the other can anyone give me advise on how to do it

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

zanwalk 20:41 09 Jun 03

Any modern main Linux distribution will partition and format your hard disk for you as it installs. However, do be careful re installing a bootloader as you may find yourself unable to boot into Windows, the safest way is to install the bootloader to a floppy and boot Linux from there until you are familiar with Linux.

As always, before installing a new operating system, do back up your important files.

nazrat 21:04 09 Jun 03

i am familiar with linux i have already installed it on sevberal other computers and have a good knowledge of using it but i can't get it to install on the hard drive without Linux already on it thats what i want to do

jazzypop 21:37 09 Jun 03
  zanwalk 22:23 09 Jun 03

Apologies, from your question I had assumed you were a 'newbie'!

jazzypops link should provide you with an answer, although I still don't quite understand your problem, however, post back if you are still in trouble.

nazrat 08:26 10 Jun 03

i could not find a link on google that made sense for me to understand could some one please give me a direct link?

powerless 09:16 10 Jun 03

Do you want to use a boot disk or a bootloader?

If you can disconnect you Windows HDD and just have the other drive connected, you can install Linux from there.

As your installing to the other drive, use a windows boot floppy and delete the partitons on this drive.

Then install Linux. Linux will be able to see and delete a windows parttion so either way will do.

nazrat 20:58 10 Jun 03

on the blank hard drive it says that windows is installed and if i want to remove it even with unplugging the other one with windows on it and it says about adding partitions and things like that the linux i want to install on the computer is Mandrake 8.1

nazrat 06:44 11 Jun 03

come on can someone please help i need this done soon

zanwalk 08:55 11 Jun 03

It is telling you Windows is installed because the file system is fat/fat32/NTFS, as you know Linux needs a different file system Ext2/Ext3 etc. Why are you not able to make a partition on the HD for Linux?

nazrat 18:30 11 Jun 03

ok then rayburn i will try then get back to you on that one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…