2 hard drives is it possible???????

raggy 2 16:57 29 Nov 04

I am about to purchase another hard drive off the net, do I still keep my other hard drive so that they run along side and if so how does this work as one is now 90% full will this one be slower? and also what is the best to buy as the site are selling IDE-PATA and they advertise the newest one SERIAL ATA.
thanks in advance Raggy

jack 17:04 29 Nov 04

Assuming you have a spare bay and IDE cable connector - go for standard drive size to suite
unsrall in bay connect power and data cable
re boot and there you are.
It will need to be formatted [what system are you?]
FDisk routine for DOS 95/98/ME- NTFS for 2000/XP
or if you arenot too sure about the techniques here
gor for a USB external -simply plug'n'pray

Diodorus Siculus 17:05 29 Nov 04

Install Hard Drive - A guide to installing a hard drive (IDE)
click here

ulrich 17:06 29 Nov 04

Yes you can, need to know what system you, I have done it myself, but there are those here who will point you in the right direction, or go on the search as you will find some answers in there.

Forum Editor 17:15 29 Nov 04

you can install it alongside your existing drive as a slave - which will mean that you will need to move a small jumper at the back of the drive onto a different pair of pins. All new drives will come configured as master drives by default. The pins will be marked - often the single letter 'S' denotes the two pins you need, and there may be a small diagram on the drive label.

Having done that, connect the drive to the spare connector on the existing IDE cable, and make sure that you plug in one of the spare power connectors that you'll find in the bundle inside your computer's case - you would be surprised at how many people forget to do that, and are puzzled when their drive doesn't show up when they start the computer.

Once you have the new drive up and running you can drag your data files onto it if you want to free up some space on your existing drive. Don't try to move programs though, or they won't work.

alnwrd 19:07 29 Nov 04

before you buy a sata drive make sure your motherboard and power supply have the correct matching power plugs and sockets

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…