2 hard drives, cd-rom, dvd. Which combinations?

lahorie 14:01 29 Nov 04

Hi

What is the best configuration for the above.

Is it best to have the 2 hard drives on one channel as master / slave and cd-rom / dvd on the second channel as master / slave or are other combinations acceptable e.g hard disk and cdrom on one channel etc.

I would be greatly interested in the best combo to use.

Cheers

Lahorie

pj123 14:06 29 Nov 04

CD Roms on the same channel as hard drives will slow the hard drive down. The best setup is your boot drive on IDE 0 as master. Your next hard drive on IDE 0 as slave, and your DVD/CD roms on IDE 1 as master and slave. If you have a Rewriter, whether it be a CD or DVD a writer always likes to be Master.

Cuddles 14:07 29 Nov 04

There have been many threads on this recently and the answers differ, i always set up bootable harddrive (C) as master on primary ide with dvd as slave and second hard drive as master and cd as slave on secondary ide, this has always worked for me, others set up both drives on one ide and both cd/dvd on second ide.

PA28 14:21 29 Nov 04

Go with pj123 - I've used this combination for years with complete and utter success (which is a change for me!!).

lahorie 14:27 29 Nov 04

Thanks Guys.

Most helpful.

Lahorie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…