2 hard drives better than 1?

spacemarine 18:41 17 Feb 07

My new PC came with 2x 250gb hard drives instead of 1x 500gb. Is this a good thing or should I send it back to be redone? I'm not sure of the configuration given but each hard drive has it's own designated letter. As a novice some help would be appreciated.

MIke 18:54 17 Feb 07

I'd be happy with two hard drives. One drive... the c drive will be the main disc that holds windows, and any programs you install. You could use the second hard drive to store your data. And should anything happen to your main drive your data will be relatively safe on the second drive. Another strategy you could use is to backup your c drive to the second hard drive using something like Acronis True image. The permutations of using separate drives are endless, depending on what you use your pc for. I have 3 drives in my pc. I use one for storing photos and the other one for backing up. It's certainly no disadvantage having two drives instead of one. I'm sure others here will have different ideas, but I'd accept the two drive set up myself.

Migwell 19:01 17 Feb 07

I have 2 drives second one is in a caddy and have others in further caddies for other reasons. The C and first extra are of 200Gig each and would never concider going back to just one drive. Others are smaller older drives. I use my second for backup etc. ( to many photographs and the like ) to loose if it is all on one drive and it &^%$ up and you loose the lot.

Gongoozler 19:02 17 Feb 07

2x 250gb! That's a lot of storage. Unless you intend to save video you are unlikely ever to fill even one drive. Photos from my 3Mp camera typically occupy 1Mb, so a 250G drive would hold 250,000 pictures! I'm with MIke in that 2 separate drives is no disadvantage. How you configure the drives depends on what you intend to use the computer for, but still back up any important files to something external such as CD or DVD. Hard drives don't last for ever and 250G of important data is a lot to lose.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now