2 hard drives with 2 operating systems question

rasalom 01:05 08 Apr 03

I have just bought a new 40gig hard drive and want to use this as my new c drive. I will be installing windows ME on this drive.

My question is this, can I after installing ME on the new drive connect my old drive (which has windows 98 on it) and then transfer programs and/or folders that I would like to keep to my new hard drive (I would recreate the full path for any programs/folders that I transfered) or will this not be possible because I may have missing dlls or other programm components which wouldn't get copied across with the main folder.

The type of folders I'm thinking of are things like outlook express folders, software purchased and downloaded off the internet (I know Im stupid but some of them I don't have copies of the setup files anymore)

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Soy (AKA tran1) 01:50 08 Apr 03

You will be able to move complete files and programs. Stuff which has no links to the registry. Stuff like 'Documents, images, music, Programs downloaded off the internet.

You cannot just go into 'Programs' and drag folders into your new hard drive as then the links are broken.

Taran 02:16 08 Apr 03

Aside from data files or the folders that contain them, you cannot move programs in the way you describe from drive to drive. When a program is installed it registers many component files with a systems registry and certain versions of DLL files will be placed in specific locations to allow the program to work correctly. These DLL files often vary slightly from one version of Windows to another.

One possible solution is to use a drive cloning program to transfer everything to your new drive then run a Windows ME upgrade disk on it. MaxBlast can clone a drive and it's a free download from the Maxtor website. You could check out the software that came with your hard disk,because most hard drives now ship with a utility disk and some of them include drive cloning tools. This will give you the desired WinME operating system and allow you to keep almost all of the programs you have installed. Note that a WinME upgrade necessitates reinstalling some software.

Your only other real solution, and the best one of all, is to obtain the software to install from scratch. It would be a shame to have a shiny new hard drive and not put a clean system on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…