2 firewalls on 1 network

knobler 21:02 18 Feb 04

I've bought a Belkin modem/router with an existing Norton Anti-vrus and Firewall on one computer. The other computer has 'Norman' Anti virus on it but no Firewall.

Question: Do I need a firewall on each computer and if so is there likely to be any conflict between the firewall on the router? I'm not even sure what the firewall in the router does to be quite honest.

I had a problem earlier this evening when I turned the computer on and found an error message all over the screen stating "Nav Auto protect - Unable to initalise the virus scanning engine database files" My other antivirus software on the computer also came up with a message stating that it was unable to open.

I've reloaded Norton, updated and run a scan and all is okay at the moment. Still worried that only one firwall has let something through and on to the network.

Sorry this is so long!!!!!!

explicitlyrics100 21:06 18 Feb 04

i run the firewall that came in my netgear router and have never had any problems. my router reads stealth on all ports and even on an ip ping so I cant see any problems. Generally if you read stealth or all closed on grc.com then youll be absolutely fine. I used to only have nat enabled and even that caused me no problems..

knobler 21:19 18 Feb 04

Thanks - just seems starnge that all these problems have started since I got the network installed. The number of hits I'm taking from outside is considerably higher.

Also getting a few more temp files appearing which I cant seem to delete. I think I'm goining to have to go back to school and just take IT!

explicitlyrics100 21:21 18 Feb 04

are you using NAT on the router? Does the router have an spi firewall? where are the hits coming from?

knobler 21:28 18 Feb 04

Will have to get back to you on that. I'll Go and have a poke around etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…