2 e-mail addresses?

mikey1965 10:23 30 Jan 03

can anybody advise if i can use two pop3 type e-mail addresses on one machine? Can i use them both with microsoft outlook, or would i need to use outlook express for one account? How do i need to configure each account, do i need to use the same server details? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

MalcSP 10:35 30 Jan 03

In Express Go into tools- accounts... Click the Mail tab. Add -fill in the fields as indicated. The POP3 account is whatever you were told. Mine for ukonline is pop3.ukonline.co.uk, the SMTP is smtp.ukonline.co.uk. Outlook has a similar method.

Lú-tzé 10:37 30 Jan 03

Yes, you can use as many pop3 addresses as you want on Outlook - and most other email clients for that matter.

Most ISPs allow you to download mail from their server even if you are not dialled in using their connection. The only thing you need to ensure is that the smtp server is set for the ISP you are dialled into and then your mail will go ok.

Lú-tzé 10:39 30 Jan 03

- the pop3 details are those for the account from which you want to collect mail; the smtp details have to be those of the isp to which you are connected unless you set up your own smtp server (which is simple - may free progs are available for this purpose).

mikey1965 10:47 30 Jan 03

just for further clarification, does the "smtp" details therefore have to be identical for each mail account ? with only the "pop" details being account specific? For information i access the internet through the office LAN, but want to have my own e-mail accounts direct to my pc. is this possible?

Lú-tzé 10:49 30 Jan 03

If you connect via a LAN, then it will be the same smtp for all the accounts. Your pop details will be specific - i.e. username and password as well as pop server details.

mikey1965 10:58 30 Jan 03

sorry to appear soooooo thick!!! what/whose smtp details should be entered? Should it be the details of our main e-mail supplier? or should it be the details of our isp. we have broadband connection through btopenworld - for business.

Lú-tzé 11:00 30 Jan 03

in that case the smtp details are mail.btopenworld.com

Unless of course your LAN has its own SMTP server - have a look at other account details and see what is the smtp server there. Put in the same for your own.

Switcher 11:02 30 Jan 03

The SMTP details should be those of the ISP in use

DieSse 11:46 30 Jan 03

If you have an office LAN - you will probably need to talk to your network administrator, as there may be an internal mail server running. This will dictate how you set up your email accounts.

If you have a broadband connection, you will have the ability to set up several POP3 accounts with the same ISP - this will also dictate how your settings are done - and you will need to know how to set up the additional accounts. Often this can only be done via the master, or administrative account.

DieSse 11:48 30 Jan 03

PS - and in this case, the SMTP and POP server names will be the same - only the account name and password will be different.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…