2 dvd-roms, one region 1 the other region 2?

jake williamson 14:40 27 Jan 04

hey out there, can i put two dvd-rom drives in my machine and set one to play region 1 dvd's and the other to play region 2?

basically, is is the the drive or the machine/os that gets regionalized?

(if you got an email from cdwow.com you can probably see what i'm after!)

cheers,

jake

Jester2K 14:44 27 Jan 04

Yes you can. The region code is locked to the drive and not Windows or any other software.

What was the e-mail about?

jake williamson 14:49 27 Jan 04

wicked! i'm guessing that my dell 8300 will only support two drives on the internal ide chain? i currently have two internal hd's one ide1 and a cd-rw and dvd-rom on the other... still, i can swap the cd-rw out for the mo!

tbe email was basically saying that a loop hole is being closed that allows companys like cdwow and play to sell dvd's and cd's at a cheaper rate by posting them (and selling them) from other conties. cost possibly add between £2 and £8 per disk!!

baring in mind i just bought a region 1 dvd that cost £45 on amazon from a usa retailer for £8.90 including postage, i gotta start buying elsewhare!

thanks for the answer, ebay here i come!

jake

Jester2K 14:52 27 Jan 04

You can have 4 IDE Devices normally. You can buy cards to add more.

However the question of DVD Region Unlocking has been asked here a few times so to save some money and messing about swapping drives search this forum for a program called DVD Genie. It does something like stopping the Region Locking...

Mike ® 15:06 27 Jan 04

Dvd Genie will ony unlock your software dvd player. The dvd rom drive will lock up after 5 changes and then be fixed in the last region played. To make a dvd drive region free, you will usually need to flash the drives eeprom chip with modified firmware. Obviously this carries the risk of making your drive unusable and wiil invalidate any warranty. Having two seperate drives (region 1 and two) is probably the safest solution.

jake williamson 19:43 27 Jan 04

thanks for the responses.

i've been looking at dvd-rom drives on ebay and think i can pick one up for around £10/£20 including p&p! the dvd-rom in my machine isnt yet locked (it has 4 more goes until it locks completely) but i'd rather not break it so getting two drives seems the best bet.

in addition, some of the dvd-roms i've been looking at appear to be region free anyway. one of the mac's we have a work (an old g4) has a region free dvd-rom.

when you say 4 ide devises, is this per channel or per macine? as mentioned i have a dvd-rom, cdrw, one 60gig hd and one 80gig hd - think that maybe my limit unless i add a pci card...

back to the manual!

thanks again,

jake

SEASHANTY 21:18 27 Jan 04

Maxtor 2 Channel PCI card giving 4 x ATA133 £29 at
Span click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced