2 dvd drives on one IDE cable

fullerbonks 12:11 27 Jul 07

I have a Philips dvd drive, and have just added a Nec dvd-Ram drive, both are on a single IDE cable. One is jumpered as Master and the other as Slave to try and overcome my problem I have reversed them.
When I place a dvd in either one, it shows up on both on the desktop shortcuts. I have even left one of them with the carriage empty and open, and I can work off it.
It's slowly driving me mad. can anyone PLEASE help.
Pete.

Stuartli 12:24 27 Jul 07

Have you tried another IDE cable?

It could also be worth Uninstalling the Secondary IDE Channel in Device Manager and then rebooting; it will be reinstalled.

The rewriter should be the Master and the DVD drive the Slave; you could also Uninstall both from Device Manager and reinstall them on an individual basis (disconnect one the first time), rebooting in between.

The rewriter should eventually be listed as the first drive in alphabetical order (i.e. D if you have one HDD) which ever drive is first reinstalled.

audeal 12:25 27 Jul 07

Try making new shortcuts from the icons in "My Computer".

Put a different CD into each drive and see if they show up as they should or if they show up one disk in both drives.

fullerbonks 12:47 27 Jul 07

Many thanks to both of you , all brilliant suggestions. The answer was 2 new shortcuts and bingo. Well done Audeal and thanks.
Pete

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5