2 different file systems compatability.

tilly 2 19:21 25 Apr 10

Don't know anything about file systems. Just bought an external 500G hard drive. the file system for that says FAT32, but my file system in windows xp prof, says NTFS. Can I work these 2 systems together without any problems.

Jollyjohn 20:37 25 Apr 10

yes. FAT32 cannot handle a file size larger than 4gb so if you plan to save movies to this new drive format it as ntfs before you save anything to it.
To format it, right click on the drive in explorer and select format, format as ntfs, then go and have a cup of tea!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:38 25 Apr 10

Yes

The FAT32 is an old system used in windows 98 and ME herefore drive s anre formated this way so people with old systems can use them.

FAT32 has a file size limit of 4G whch meand storing large video files on the drive could be a problem.

to convert the drive either reformat it as NTFS or
To convert your drives to NTFS:
Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'
From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.'
Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information.
Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'
To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

Devil Fish 20:39 25 Apr 10

yes it will be fine your xp will be able to see files stored on your external drive

tilly 2 22:54 25 Apr 10

Thanks to all Who answered my query. Much appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…