2 dhcp servers

m4819 20:24 07 Nov 07

I have a d-link 320t adsl modem linked to a Belkin N1 wireless router, both are working well except that sometimes I need to reboot everything and the all is working ok again. I have noticed that I have 2 mac addresses for each piece of equipment on my wireless network.

I think that this may be because there is dhcp capability on both the modem and the router. I read somewhere that this is not a good idea.

Would it be correct to run only one and if so which one. Also is there anything else that may be duplicated and causing problems.

Any guidance would be appreciated

Daveboy 20:30 07 Nov 07

Yes, switch one DHCP off, stick with the routers.

mgmcc 22:13 07 Nov 07

<<< I have noticed that I have 2 mac addresses for each piece of equipment on my wireless network. >>>

Every network device (adapters, wireless access points, routers etc) has a MAC address - Media Access Control address. A Router has two - A LAN MAC address and a WAN MAC address, but these are totally unrelated to the IP (Internet Protocol) addresses allocated by a DHCP server.

Having said that, you should only have one DHCP server allocating IP addresses in a particular network.

m4819 23:04 07 Nov 07

thanks to both of you, 1 dhcp gone and so has the problem

ambra4 12:00 08 Nov 07

Tick box and click solved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now