2 connections from Virgin cable modem?

stu1162 08:20 05 Jul 08

Is it possible to have 2 connections from my Virgin cable modem?(1 connection to wireless router, 1 connection from modem to laptop via ethernet cable).
I have a Netgear wireless router set up which is working fine but when I come to download the speed is very restricted, when I turn off the wireless router and plug my laptop straight to the Virgin modem via a ethernet cable the download flies through at the expected speed for a 20mb connection.
I have tried connecting the ethernet cable from laptop straight to my wireless router as well but the speed does not seem to change.
I have looked on e bay for an ethernet adaptor which plugs into the Virgin modem but they state it is not to be used for broadband connections.
The 2 connections would not be 'live' together I would only use the ethernet cable for download usage and disconnect from my laptop when not in use, but then still have the internet connection via my wireless router.
Sorry if this all sounds confusing, I have limited knowledge on wireless but thought I may give it a try.

brundle 10:51 05 Jul 08

Try resetting the router and setting it up again, or check for more recent firmware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…