2 computers 2 modems 1 account

Diemmess 17:19 11 Dec 04

My son's family again!

Both computers on the same BT line and Wanadoo a/c. ........ My son has now added a BB modem to the second computer. We thought naively that provided one computer was NOT on the net that the other could connect.

This is not what happens. OK if the USB lead is disconnected on either computer, but this is likely to encourage wear on the plug & socket.

Cost is a factor. Unlikely to fit wireless or hard intranet gizmos. Any simpler ideas out there of a cheap and cheerful nature?

woodchip 17:23 11 Dec 04

If on is BB then you can connect both through the BB connection or if you want to use the Dial-Up modem you can through a Filter connected to the BB line. So that both can work at the same time

ACOLYTE 17:24 11 Dec 04

In theory this should work as long as both pcs have installed the dial up software and have selected same details in account setup,they would need to be connected to phone point with a double adapter and seperate modem cables,and only 1 could be online at a time ,but it should work.

Diemmess 17:32 11 Dec 04

ACOLYTE, that is interesting, because he is still seeking a way to sort out his access to IE and so on.

I'm no help because I live in the strange but steady reliable world of Aol..... IE only rears its head to me when I'm looking at something which brings in IE as its displayed page.

What steps should he take in the Dial Up or whatever connection in control panel or perhaps somewhere else? (Both computers are on 98SE)

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:36 11 Dec 04

Make sure the BB connection is disconnected on the main computer and you will be able to connect with the second computer. Set the second computer up exactly as the first computer, drivers first, connect modem, reboot, enter user name and password.

Diemmess 18:01 11 Dec 04

Thanks too to you GANDALF <|:-)> ....Have emailed your advice.

It is access to Outlook Express he is fiddling with, but has given up for today.

Although when installing he expected to be asked for the modem to be connected, in fact he was asked for his ISP and plugged the modem in afterwards without using Wanadoo's package! Once on the net his account was quickly recognised.

Tomorrow's another day, and I will leave the thread open until or if, he has achieved his aims and then post back and close.

ACOLYTE 18:16 11 Dec 04

This should work with dial up as well as BB as long as only 1 person is online at a time and both pc set up with same info.It may work beter with dialup as there is no number check as with BB.

Diemmess 18:38 11 Dec 04

NB - the hardware is identical in design, only manufacturers differ. Both are BB USB connected via filters to the same telephone line and use the same Wanadoo a/c.

As I said I'm waiting till tomorrow to see how he gets on, but cheered that you all think it is possible once the right words and music are playing!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…