2 computers 1 monitor?

portofcall 21:49 15 Oct 06

Ok, I have been given a second computer which I would like to use as a backup with each computer (tower) set up side by side. How do I connect each computer to one monitor? Is this possible? In effect, I would like to have said two computers which operate as separate computers but would like option of using either computer as main with back up connected to central monitor. Am I mad or what? Thanks, Skip

jolorna 21:57 15 Oct 06

click here the kind of cable you need

AragornUK 21:58 15 Oct 06

Very easy. You can get a KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) switch that allows you to connect 2 PCs to 1 monitor, Keyboard, Mouse. You can then switch between them.

There are lots of different types, the cheapest (like I have) simply has both PCs connected to it and you press Scroll Lock (x2) Esc to switch between them. Others have physical switches to flip.

If it works, look here:

click here

AragornUK 21:59 15 Oct 06

Hmmm......

I should have checked the Stock icons first. Typical PC World, mostly 'Not Available' but you'll get an idea.

Totally-braindead 22:15 15 Oct 06

Something like this click here better prices here click here

DieSse 22:34 15 Oct 06

Or - with certain monitors you can do this.

If the monitor has both a DVI and a VGA interface - you can connect each interface to a different computer. This assumes at least one system had a DVI connection for the monitor.

Then you enter the monitor setup (from the front of the monitor), and switch the input to be used.

I do this myself when I have a second system in to work on.

Belatucadrus 00:30 16 Oct 06

click here this is the one I use, works a treat.

portofcall 19:01 17 Oct 06

To one and all;

Many thanks,

Skip

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…