2 browsers?? is this safe??

laptopdunce 10:50 08 Mar 14

After a recovery from 4 DVD recovery disks on Sony Vaio laptop, (after long rigmarole of slow start up and impossible to correct) I am now re-installing and configuring everything on laptop, I have installed Avast free antivirus and deleted the McAffee trial programme pre-installed on laptop, there are some other programmes I found in the control panel called jotzy evernote wild tangent games - are these necessary or can I remove them? Also is it wise to have 2 browsers, i.e. is preinstalled and I normally use that to listen to BBC radio through (being not in the UK) and I use google chrome that I have just downloaded for most of my other surfing. I set i.e. to a yahoo homepage so I can use their excellent toolbar with the icons I can add for most used websites. So am I OK using two browsers on this laptop? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE - I also want to add other programmes like Paint.net but alot of these download sites are SO INORDINATELY AND DEVIOUSLY MADE that you have no idea which is the right download button to use, and you can end up downloading all sorts of crap from these so-called "reputable" sites, why is there not a simple download button SPECIFIC to the programme you want?

Forum Editor 11:06 08 Mar 14

"So am I OK using two browsers on this laptop?"

Use as many as you like - I currently have four browsers installed.

"why is there not a simple download button SPECIFIC to the programme you want?"

Bear in mind that everyone has a living to make, and software providers will often try to get you to pay for a more enhanced version of a product rather than the stripped-down free version. There's nothing wrong with that - it just means you have to be prepared to drill down a little to find what you need.

Forum Editor 11:08 08 Mar 14

Apologies to MechKB who provided similar advice to mine - one of the penalties of working with three screens is that I don't always see that someone has already responded when I hit the post button.

laptopdunce 12:56 08 Mar 14

OK, I have removed those three pprogramnes (jazzy evernote and tangentgames) I am trying to find the microsoft office starter word programme that is pre-installed on this laptop, do I need to download it from the main MS programme and set a startup icon? I downloaded antimalwarebytes and did a scan and got 24 PUPS!! I set it (from previous instructions here) to tick these and delete them automatically on each scan. I am worried that I am getting some AWFUL Dutch pop ups when using i.e. yahoo browser, they even appear when logged into mainstream sites like ebay and pcadvisor, how can I stop these? thnaks LAPTOPDUNCE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…