2 black ink tanks - what's the difference?

palinka 15:18 28 Sep 07

My Canon Pixma iP4300 has two black ink tanks - a "BK" and a "PGBK". I do a lot of printing in black only and the PGBK has run out today(while I was in the midle of something; but I've only myself to blame; there have been low ink warnings for some time).
I'd like to know what the BK tank is for. It doesn't seem possible to use that when the PGBK runs out, which is a nuisance.

Jim Thing 15:38 28 Sep 07

click here and scroll down to the answer given by Johnus Maximus.

HTH

palinka 15:55 28 Sep 07

thanks Jim Thing.
That raises 2 other questions:
1. HOW is BK going to be used for photos (ie how will the printer know it's a photo)
and 2. How can I make it think my current print job is a photo so it will print the single page that's left unprinted.
I set the option to "high quality" instead of "normal" or my usual "fast", thinking that might do it, but it still won't print - unless presumanbly there is a usuable PGBK tank available too.

Pamy 16:01 28 Sep 07

What does the manual say?

Jim Thing 16:03 28 Sep 07

I've just had a look at click here, where Canon itself seem to be saying that the PG stands for 'pigment.'

Apologies for possibly misleading you. I hope someone more knowledgeable than I am comes up with a definitive answer.

Pamy 16:21 28 Sep 07
  Pamy 16:55 28 Sep 07

The printer features four dye-based ink tanks, plus a pigment black ink tank, which deliver sharp text and professional-grade documents, making the iP4300 printer optimal for everyday tasks like printing web pages, text documents, and presentations.

Sea Urchin 17:27 28 Sep 07

you can download it from here - PDF file

click here

palinka 19:14 28 Sep 07

Thank you all for your suggestions. Unfortunately I’m as much in the dark as I was at the start!
Yes, I’ve got the manual – all 200 or so pages if it, of which only pages 1-14 are useful as the rest is the same 14 pages in a variety of languages.
Nowhere does it answer my question about the use of the two black ink tanks.
I’ve worked through every possible option in the on-line stuff and still found nothing that helps me.
I agree with the stuff that Pamy quotes – Canon printers ARE economical : because they have separate inktanks that can be replaced separately when they run out; my previous printer was a Canon BJC 3000 which had the standard 4 tanks and because I print mostly black I was able to set it to print from only black – instead of mixing black from the colours, and then I could replace the black tank even when the colours were still mostly full. And if the black ran out when I was nearly at the end of a print job I could still print in black by deliberately choosing the setting that mixed black from the colours. All that is the reason why I chose a Canon again.
I’d already been to Canon’s website and got no help at all from there.
So, back to my present question – there are 2 black inktanks (in addition to the colours) but only one of them seems to have been used during my mostly black printing over the last 4 months. That is the PGBK.
As has been suggested , I too thought that the “unused” one is for printing photographs – but I can’t find a setting for photographs, only “high quality” which is perhaps intended for that, but if so it still won’t print from the BK black unless there is a PGBK also available (and not run out, as mine was).
And apart from using that High Quality setting, how does the printer know that I want to print a photo?
So thanks, folks, for your efforts; but it’s still a mystery.
I solved the problem short-term by nipping down to my local IT shop and buying a replacement PGBK. In the next month or so I’ll buy one from a cheaper supplier in my nearby town or online, as I normally do, so that I’m not caught again.
But it still leaves the question – what is BK black used for? And what will trigger its use?

Sea Urchin 19:28 28 Sep 07

I guess you didn't look at the link I provided - it is a 102 page manual, and I can assure you it is all written in English. I haven't studied it in great detail, but there appears to be quite a bit of information about the ink cartridges.

palinka 09:39 29 Sep 07

my apologies, Sea Urchin, the cover was identical to the paper copy I have and had already read, so I assumed...............!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced