1x AGP slot

tomo6438 21:45 18 Oct 05

Having just built a new system I am looking at upgrading an old one. I am however having some trouble identifying a graphics card as the m/board only has a 1x AGP slot and I'm unsure of what cards are available that are supported by this.

I believe from my searching that it is a 3.3v slot and that the Radeon 7000 maybe a solution though if there is a better chipset, I would be very grateful if someone could suggest it...

I'm basically looking for the best card/chipset available for a 1x slot. Any ideas?

DieSse 22:34 18 Oct 05

Any ideas?

I think your suggestion of a Radeon 7000 would be fine - very few cards are still available with this spec, and absolutely none of them are high performance.

citadel 22:43 18 Oct 05

I think 1x agp slot means 1 slot on the board, if it is a new board it will be 8x or 4x.

DieSse 23:05 18 Oct 05

tomo6438 said "I am looking at upgrading an old one"

tomo6438 23:07 18 Oct 05

no, 1x was followed by 2x, 4x and 8x... this is why i am unsure of what chipset on the market now will still be compatible with the older version dating back from '97.

tomo6438 23:08 18 Oct 05

such a long time ago in computer years right!!!

SANTOS7 23:10 18 Oct 05

If you know the make and model of your Mobo follow the links refering to upgrade memory, when you have finished there is a graphics card tab select that and it will tell you which cards are compat to your Mobo
click here
or from the home page select graphics card tab and select system scan it will scan your system and give you the info you need ..

Stuartli 23:19 18 Oct 05

There is normally only one AGP slot on a motherboard - the 1x (and 2x, 4x and 8x) is the AGP speed of the graphics card (although it is not a linear speed progress).

tomo6438 23:54 18 Oct 05

Thanks Santos, that site is def. one to keep for future reference but for the graphics for my board it came up empty handed. I guess thats another sign of the difficulty i'm having...

Just for the record, I'm trying to rejuvenate a Gateway G6 350...

A site I found that answers alot for anyone interested is below.

click here

bremner 10:27 19 Oct 05

Both the AGP slot on the motherboard and the graphics card will have a rating.

Up to date boards will have a max 8x slot and will therefore take 8x graphics cards.

A motherboard with a max 4x slot will take an 8x graphics card but it will only work at 4x.

tomo6438 12:23 19 Oct 05

so I guess I should beable to fit any AGP card to the 1x slot but it will be limited to 1x speed...

the confusion comes when I was looking at which cards are compatible with 3.3v slots as most are now 1.5v...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…