1TB Hiatachi hard drive not allowing bootup

herrick8 10:23 16 Oct 10

Fitted new Hitachci Deskstar SATA drive HDS721010CLA via Silicon Image SiI3112 SATARaid Controller with latest driver installed. Computer hangs on boot up at the SATARaid controller stage showing the Hitachci drive. Boots up fine with just the existing Maxtor SATA drive (6Y120M0) but if Hitachi added or Hitachi alone computer hangs. Connecting new drive after boot up has allowed partitioning and formating as a basic disk and can be addressed by the operating system but the boot up problem is still there. Is there a limit to the size if disk that can be accomodated by the SATARaid controller? Is there something needs to be done to "initalise" the drive?

T0SH 10:51 16 Oct 10

Set your BIOS up so it only detects the boot hard drive set all other drives to "not found" or whatever is your flavour of BIOS not detected option ,doing this avoids boot conflicts but will still allow you access to the drive from within Windows

Cheers HC

herrick8 11:22 16 Oct 10

Thanks Tosh. Set all options to HDD0 which is the XP operating system disc, Maxtor 6Y120L0 normal ATA conection,in BIOS (no "not found"option). Still the same. When connecting new drive after bootup both the SATA disc show as "SCSI Disk Device".
HERRICK8

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:55 16 Oct 10

Try setting drives to ACHI mode in the BIOS or at least make sure ACHI is "Enabled"

herrick8 15:11 16 Oct 10

Can't find ACHI mode in my BIOS. Do I need a BIOS upgrade? Just seems strange that the old SATA has been booting up & working fine and the new larger drive blocks bootup but is obviously functional as I can read & write to it when connected after bootup!

herrick8 21:02 28 Oct 10

After contacting Hitachi support and carrying out tests supplied by them the drive being returned for replacement.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now