1TB Hard Drive with Windows XP Home 32 bit install question

Audio~~Chip 23:44 PM 03 Jan 13
Answered

Hello If I was to replace my failed HDD which I have Windows XP Home 32 bit on disk and clean install on to a 1TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III is there any compatibitly issues with a 1TB HDD install on XP Home please

SillBill 23:48 PM 03 Jan 13

I might be wrong but I think any question of compatibility would be with you computer and not the OS.

rdave13 23:51 PM 03 Jan 13
Answer

I'm not sure how much of the drive it will see. I think you'll need SP3 slipstreamed on the XP disc to see all the drive. Check with Godoogle.

Audio~~Chip 00:14 AM 04 Jan 13

Thanks SillBill & rdave13 yes the XP Home is XP Home SP3 and the Motherboard is a ASRock 4 Core Dual-SATA II v1.02 motherboard. I know the SATA III will be backwards compatible to SATA II

So with having the XP SP3 Disk (Original) do you think this will configure ok or should I go for SATA II 1TB HDD ?

Audio~~Chip 00:18 AM 04 Jan 13

According to Google Search 1TB will be seen in XP SP3 as 127GB and has to be formatted under Disk Managment in XP. I will stick to a 500GB HDD to be safe.

Audio~~Chip 00:19 AM 04 Jan 13

Thank you both for the pointers so quick oh and forgot. Happy New Year to you and all at the PCA Forum

rdave13 00:22 AM 04 Jan 13

This should answer your question, Limited to 2 terabyte.

Audio~~Chip 22:09 PM 05 Jan 13

Thank You rdave13 interesting informative article. Thank you for calling back

Cheers Steven

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 release date, price, features UK: Free upgrade available July 29 with 10 years of free…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

Apple Pay UK launch guide and participating UK banks: HSBC, First Direct finally support Apple Pay