//some 3rd party need geo

1st ever website completed, please review

babybell 20:41 12 May 05

Hi guys!

Just completed my first ever website for my other half and would like some reviews on what people think of it, plus any ideas for improvement! Be gentle!

Please can u quickly visit all the pages just so i can be sure there are no errors!

click here

fly2hi 21:02 12 May 05

Very neat site. Like the music quiz, I scored a fantastic (2). Guess I must be 'past it'. I'll leave the technical aexamination to the others as I'm still a novice myself. I was told off by my missus for using italics, but then mine is a commercial site, yours is meant to be 'arty' so I think it looks ok, even though it could be a bit hard to read if you're in a hurry. Personally, I think it's refreshing to see some different text styles in use where they are appropriate. It works, I now know who Amy lee is and the song list (not sure how to spell 'repatoire') is very impressive. I'd definitely go along to hear them all. Congratulations

Diodorus Siculus 21:04 12 May 05

My only comment is that you need to change the name of the page from "template32" to whatever it happens to be!

Can't comment on design...

dcfc 21:21 12 May 05

Looks pretty good for first ever. I really like the right side image nad the banner being twisted. I do however, find it a bit hard to read the link I mam getting to when I roll over it. Th egrey Text on pink background is a little tough to read. But otherwise, looks like a great first web-site!

babybell 21:22 12 May 05

Diodorus Siculus, y can't u comment on the design, is it because its that bad u dont want to offend me! lol. I agree about template32 tho, was meant to be one of the things i changed b4 publishing but 4got.

Thanx fly2hi, sorry to hear you only got 2, i was pretty much the same, one question tho, on that quiz did the little question mark pictures appear next to the questions or was there a white box with red cross?

Font has been a difficult issue, we wanted the site to feel personal and we felt that font gave the impression that Amy wrote it herself. Hopefully people visiting the site won't be "in a hurry" and will hang around to enjoy the website.

dcfc 21:22 12 May 05

Looks pretty good for first ever. I really like the right side image and the banner being twisted. I do however, find it a bit hard to read the link writing when I roll over it. The grey text on pink background is a little tough to read. But otherwise, looks like a great first web-site!

LeadingMNMs 21:26 12 May 05

I like the image on the right, but just a few things for you to consider.

The links down the left seem to close together, its hard to seperate them quickly, so try to space them out and group relevant links.

I'm not sure if the font you've used is safe for other operating systems (e.g. Mac users), so you might need to reconsider its use, though it does seem appropriate.

I don't think its necessary to have a black background image tilled across, it would be much eaier and quicker to download if you used a style rule.

babybell 21:27 12 May 05

dcfc, i can understand how the rollover may hide the text, however, we felt that people will see the link THEN click on it, so if it is difficult to read it might not matter as much as they already know what the link does.

babybell 21:34 12 May 05

Point taken on the links being too close togeva, will adjust!

The font we used is Bradley Hand, i take it on old pc's this will come up as a standard font, but it is something we would like to keep.

Can u explain the principle of the style rule for the background?

LeadingMNMs 21:47 12 May 05

Not sure whether you wrote it yourself, or if it was generated by an application, but you have a stylesheet called 'style.css', all you should need to do is add 'background-color:black' within the body section and remove the background image.

Also try using GIF rather than JPEG for your images, its likely that the size will be reduced, although you may lose some quality - your choice.

fly2hi 21:51 12 May 05

Hey, I got 7 out of ten that time, (goldfish memory!) do you mean the box that appears when you get it wrong with a question mark in it and the correct answer. Saw lots of those.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…