1mb broadband service after 6th September 2004?

CurlyWhirly 16:26 01 Sep 04

I am praying that I will be able to upgrade to the 1mb service (from 512kb) when BT update their online checkers on 6th September 2004.
When I go to click here and enter my telephone number I get the following message:

"Congratulations, you are in a broadband enabled area.
However, there appears to be a compatibility issue with your phone line. This could be caused by a DACS unit, Home Highway, an existing xDSL connection or many other things. This will need to be resolved before xDSL broadband can be installed."

I am just wondering if this is a 'normal' message or does it not look hopeful for me?
I don't have a Home Highway service or a DACS unit (whatever these are!)
Any comments?
CW

Al94 16:40 01 Sep 04

I get it too presumably because I already have an existing 512kbs ADSL as it appears have you.

Al94 16:42 01 Sep 04

clicking on the BT ADSL button, i got the following message

Your exchange is enabled for ADSL!
There is limited capacity at your exchange for further ADSL connections. Capacity is due to be increased on 29/09/2004

The following level of service is available at your location:

You cannot receive 1Mbps or 2Mbps ADSL
You can receive 512Kbps ADSL

However, there appears to a compatibility issue with your phone line. This could be caused by an existing broadband connection, ISDN, a DACS unit, TPON, a pending ADSL order or range of other common issues. This will need to be resolved before ADSL can be supplied to your line.

bretsky 16:50 01 Sep 04

Try getting the BT operator to tell you whether you can upgrade, be prepared for a long wait and going round and round in circles with menus, if busy leave your telephone no and they will call you back, there is an option to do this.

DACS click here

bretsky ;0)

CurlyWhirly 16:51 01 Sep 04

Thanks for putting my mind at rest!
I just hope that the reason why I get this message is because I already have an existing 512kbs ADSL service and NOT because of a compatibility issue with my phone line!
CW

CurlyWhirly 16:53 01 Sep 04

I will try this out. thanks
CW

Bagsey 16:57 01 Sep 04

I would not worry to much yet. When they come back and tell you that it is a no no, then worry. But I can tell you that my experience of going up to a 1meg BB has not been without it faults. I had a perfectly good fast 500 k connection then I "upgraded" and my connection SLOWED down. Dont know why and am trying all kinds different avenues to resolve this issue but so far no joy. Next stop moan at Bt. I will post any answers I get on this foruum. I am now wondering if this is a contention issue???

CurlyWhirly 17:03 01 Sep 04

This is odd that your speed actually 'slows down' due to a possible contention issue.
I may ask if I can go for a one month trial as otherwise I will be tied into a 12 month contract.

Have you tried to cancel your 1 mb service and go back to 512 kb as you could argue that if you HAD been told that you were going to be put on a higher contention ratio you wouldn't have upgraded?
CW

CurlyWhirly 17:06 01 Sep 04

p.s. May I ask which ISP your 1 mb service is with?
I am currently on AOL Gold and was hoping to upgrade to AOL Platinum.
CW

Bagsey 07:43 02 Sep 04

I am on BtYahoo.No I have not tried to cancel YET but I am going to have a go at getting my connection problem sorted by Bt. I am only guessing that it is a contention issue because that was the next thing that came to mind. I did think that it could have been a modem proble as it was suggested that the early modems could only handle up to 500k, but I find that my Alcotel Speedtouch 330 is good up to 8meg ????
So where do I go from here. Moan at bt I suppose.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…