1GB v 2GB Opinions wanted please

ross_mcculloch 16:04 26 Dec 07

I'm after a new PC and can't decided whether to go for 1 or 2 GB...I don't do gaming but watch videos, listen to music, online radio, emails, updating my employer's website and a few other bits n bobs.

Any thoughts?

brundle 16:17 26 Dec 07

2gb for Vista

ross_mcculloch 16:22 26 Dec 07

Thanks for the swift response, I'm also not sure whether to go for Vista or XP...decisions decisions!?!

Pamy 16:24 26 Dec 07

you may not have a choice with a new computer

bremner 16:24 26 Dec 07

With the current price of RAM I would always go for as much as I could afford.

As brundle has said I would not consider less than 2GB for a Vista machine - then again from choice I would have XP

kindly 16:25 26 Dec 07

I am using XP but have access to vista on my sons comp. Although his has more things on it I still prefere the XP system. Mainly because I am used to it and it has so many drivers for different things. I guess that is about the only thing that is not going for vista.

symphony 21:09 26 Dec 07

I'm no expert but been reading into this and those in the know say go for 2 GB to run Vista. I'm buying soon and I'm going for 2GB plus.

mazuk 02:39 29 Dec 07

I would recommend 2gb whether xp or vista simply because you can never have enough RAM just when you thought you had enough a program you use ends up chewing it all up so go for it...

Zak 10:23 29 Dec 07

You should be looking at 2GB minimum. If WinXP max 4GB RAM but

Have a look:

click here

click here

postie24 14:06 30 Dec 07

Im not too sure,but i think you need a 64bit operating system to make it worth while using extra ram above 3gb in xp,Vista then thats fine.

bremner 14:50 30 Dec 07

To be clear - 32 bit XP or Vista has a maximum RAM capability of 4GB. In reality for memory addressing reasons both can only handle 3GB.

A 64 bit version of XP or Vista can address much more than 4GB of RAM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…