19" TFT Monitor upgrade

the old man 12:26 14 May 06

Am currently going thru period of upgrading computer and am after a monitor. I have designs on this one and would like some opinions or alternatives. Will be used for playing games and internet. will be used with an Nvidia 6600 256mb.
click here

Totally-braindead 12:43 14 May 06

Thats the same one I've been drooling over as well. No DVI I notice but my present one has no DVI and the monitors I've seen with DVI don't look any better to me.

jack 14:30 14 May 06

Yes why not - DVI?
Well on strength of the review in March PCA I ordered the Phillips 190x6 speakersbuilt in[dont really need them] DVI /USB.
All sorts of built in software that I have yet to fathom.
Ordered it last Sunday 7th arrived the 10th
Terrific. What a beast.
I note that it has top billing on the New PCA[July]

JYPX 15:03 14 May 06

Lots of customer reviews, 114 in fact, (of the Acer monitor) can be found at Amazon uk click here

rawprawn 16:15 14 May 06

click here I have had this for about 6 months and I am very pleased with it.

the old man 22:47 14 May 06

Is there not that much difference between DVI and Analogue. I thought DVI was the new improved standard with TFT's. Don't really understand it.

Woolwell 10:15 15 May 06

In theory DVI should give a better picture than analogue. IMHO in practice with newer graphics cards there doesn't appear to be a great deal of difference (or is my eyesight not so good). However some monitors have more features available with DVI (eg DV mode other software controls).
Ideally it would be good to view the monitor before buying but local PC stores tend to have limited range especially of 19".
I read as many as possible reviews, bought an NEC 90GX2 and then wondered if I made the right decision until it was delivered. Fortunately I am pleased with it.

Grantrh 11:19 15 May 06

I have recently purchased a Samsung SM930BF 19" monitor and I am delighted with it.

the old man 18:23 15 May 06

Well fellas and especially Totally-braindead, I have taken the plunge and bought the Acer 19" widescreen from Amazon. Didn't think I could argue with 114 reviews where the vast majority said it was a belting screen. Fingers crossed now that it is as good as they say.

Totally-braindead 19:30 15 May 06

Please tell me what its like when you get it, I really do fancy one but I've got a rather nice, but cheap 17" TFT and am trying hard to justify an upgrade and failing dismally.

the old man 15:33 17 May 06

Monitor has turned up this morning as the wife has reliably informed me. Keep telling her not to disturb me at work but will she listen. Lol.

Will sort it out later and will post tonight on initial impressions.
Upgrade is from a 17" Tagan Mitsubishi CRT.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…