1.73 celeron m cpu - Vista Basic or XP Pro?

VNAM75 19:13 14 Feb 08

I've got a toshiba laptop with a 1.73 celeron cpu
running vista basic. I'm thinking of putting my old xp pro onto it to make it run more quicker and smoother. Its not bad at the moment with vista basic, and all I do is use it for the internet and play mp3s, but its just seems to be taking an unnecessarily long time to open applications etc somnetimes.

Is vista basic a lot more resource intensive than xp, and would I get any notable speed benefits using xp instead? If its only marginal, I'm don't want to go through the process of resintalling the operating system and applications.

I've got 1 gig ram and don't want to add more.

skidzy 19:38 14 Feb 08

You biggest problem is going to be drivers for the current motherboard,as this has and maybe specalised for Vista.

How much ram is installed ?
You may find adding a gig of ram will sort your problem,thats assuming the motherboard can take more ram.

Though to be fair here,a Celeron is not that good for a Vista machine...sorry.

Widow's Son 19:40 14 Feb 08

would be to turn off a lot of the unnecessary features in Vista (see through windows/sidebar etc). This can make a huge difference

Totally-braindead 19:48 14 Feb 08

Agree with skidzy, firstly before you do anything else make sure you have a windows disk. I only mention this as some PCs don't come with one and I don't know what Toshiba do. Also does anyone know if Toshibas have a hidden partition on it? This is in case things go badly if you decide to do it and have to revert to Vista. If you do try this and things go wrong and have no Vista disk or if windows is on a hidden partition and you delete it you end up with a computer that does nothing.

Vista does drag more than XP and is very demanding especially on memory but with a Celeron processor I doubt that even adding more memory will make a huge difference. It will make a noticeable difference but not a huge one in my opinion at least.

I would also like to point out that unless your old XP Pro is a full version and is not on another PC you will have problems validating it.

And as said before even considering it you must make sure there are XP drivers, if there aren't then my advise is don't even attempt it as no XP drivers means it might not work correctly.

Strawballs 22:47 14 Feb 08

With only 1gig of Ram I would go for XP, as it is only a 1.7 celeron then I would think that XP drivers should be availiable but as said before check first.

VNAM75 00:25 15 Feb 08

Thanks for the comments. I think I'll stick with vista rather than mess around with installing a new operating system and drivers. I've got it all setup as I want it with the software and wireless network and broadband. I've taken off a lot of the extra/unnecessary features already and the laptop is for occasional and casual use so it will be fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5