17" TFT Versus 19" TFT

DongQuyCao 21:52 31 Oct 04

I'm very stuck in whether to opt for a 17 or 19 inch TFT monitor. Are 19" TFTs worth the extra £200 or so over 17" TFT? I want to get a 19" but am concerned with:

1) native (maximum?) resolution is the same for both, so does this mean an identical picture would take up proportionally the same amount of screen space for both monitor sizes, and does this mean that on the 19" the picture would look more "blocky"?

2) 19" TFTs have a much inferior response rate time (25 ms against 16 ms). Would this really make a lot of difference to playing games and watching DVDS?

With this in mind, I wonder what real advantage 19" TFTs have over 17" TFTs. Finally, does anyone know what is the model/make of the standard 19" TFT that Mesh offers on their systems and are Iiyamas still the gold standard for TFT and monitors in general?

Peter 22:55 31 Oct 04

To some extent it depends how good your eyes are. I prefer a bigger picture (an effect of being > 50) and you can get a 19" TFT for as little as about £300, but I don't know how good they are.

If possible you should have a good look at both sizes in action running the usual sort of programmes that you use. Don't just try them for a minute or two, give them a good workout.

As for response times there are 19" TFT monitors with lower than 25 mS response times. The main problem that I have noticed with respect to response times is that as the time is reduced from 25 to 16 or 12 or even 8 mS the angle of view of the screen also reduces, both horizontal and vertical, from a possible 175 degrees towards 160 degrees. I think that this might be more annoying that a slower response time unless you are an avid games player.

All of the above is just my personal view and may well be different from that of other contributers.

Peter.

citadel 00:01 01 Nov 04

if you want to play games response time is the most important feature. crt monitors are better for games I have a 19" crt with my new computer and coupled with a 6800 graphics card it gives excellent speed and picture quality when playing games.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5