16x DVD Rom problems - reading CD's in XP Home

Giggle n' Bits 23:41 25 Jan 04

Hello,
I am having problems with a 16x DVD Drive. If I stick a DVD film or a application CD in the drive I am getting variuos error messeges as follows;-

d:/setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application
Or
D:/is not accessable the request couild not be performed because of an I/O device error

I have tried the drive on my older machine running ME and its ok, but a little tempramental.
I did do something in the registry to clean out a game but not sure if I have damaged any reg files.
I have tried system restore.

Is there a way in XP to fix the registry ? Or is it a reinstall from the origianl OEM XP CD which I have ?

smegs 01:08 26 Jan 04

click here this is for the first problem.

Giggle n' Bits 01:22 26 Jan 04

its not got moeney installed. I have decided to format and reinstall XP.

hugh-265156 01:23 26 Jan 04

does it do this with all discs?if so try the usual lens cleaner etc or try clicking start/control panel/performance and maintenance/system/hardware/device manager

right click your dvd drive and uninstall it.restart the computer and windows will find the drive again and reinstall the drivers automaticaly.

did it ever work before? use system restore to go back if you know a date when it worked ok.

check your motherboard drivers are installed,check the ide cable is connected correctly.

same error but with MS money click here

windows update maybe? click here

hugh-265156 01:27 26 Jan 04

sorry smegs forgot to check your click here. try reinstalling the drive.

Stuartli 09:00 26 Jan 04

Have you checked that all the leads and cables are properly connected and undamaged?

It's usually the cause of floppy and CD/DVD-ROM drive problems.

A lens cleaner is unlikely to make any difference as all drives are very well sealed, a situation that is only temporarily absent during the few brief seconds the tray is open to insert a disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…