1.6GB missing disk space

Big Boris 17:13 18 Sep 03

I have formatted and re-installed Win XP Pro, after having some problems with programs dissapearing, files mixed up ect.

After installing some 'must have' programs, I have noticed that by looking in C Drive properties that there is a large amount of space (1.6 gigs) not accounted for.

Three folders , looking at properties show.....
1) docs and Settings = 37.2 megs,
2) Program files = 296 megs,
3) Windows = 1.3 gigs.

Yet according to Drive C properties
3.24 gigs is used, 6.06 is free of a 9.3 gig partition.
Where has the rest of my disk gone?

I did a double format, and the rest of the partitions appear to be OK.

TIA

Big Boris

bremner 17:16 18 Sep 03

click here I think this may explain

DieSse 17:35 18 Sep 03

You DON'T lose space in formatting (well maybe a tiny tiny bit - but not enough to affect the capacity figures being correct).

All the space difference you see is down to the two kinds of maths.

Windows (XP at least) actually shows you both values for capacity if you look in the hard drive properties eg - my 80 Gb drive shows as

Drive C 40,000,000 bytes 37.2Gb

Drive D 40,000,000 bytes 37.2Gb

The ISO standard for numbering systems says 1000 bytes = 1Kb.

The "computer/binary" way is to say 1024 bytes = 1Kb.

So they're both correct, just dfferent, and nobody is being swindled out of any capacity due to formatting or anything else.

Smiler 18:07 18 Sep 03

Is there anything in the recycle bin?

Big Boris 20:49 18 Sep 03

Nothing in recycle bin, IE cache is (almost) empty.
I knew about the differential regarding disk size, but could (and probably still) not work out the maths behind it.
Just had a look at C drive properties again and the difference is even bigger!
1) docs and Settings = 46.5 megs was 37.2 megs,
2) Program files = 395 megs, was 296 megs,
3) Windows = 1.46 gigs was 1.3 gigs.

Drive C properties show 3.5 gigs of used space, before it was 3.24 used.

No new progs have been installed, no downloads, and mail is stored on another partition.

The IE cache has been emptied and is not saved on reboot.

Is there something 'eating' the drive space, or is it being transported into outer space?
I have never had or noticed this problem before, and programs installed are MSN messenger 6, Nero, Mirc, AVG (free), and ACD (free).

cheers, Boris

Jester2K II 20:55 18 Sep 03

Paging File??? Reboot and see if the space "eaten" goes down or not.

wiznyme 20:57 18 Sep 03

Go into my computer/ View

On the scroll down to hidden files and folders & choose show hidden files & folders, next untick hide protected operating sys files and say yes when prompted.

Now check the space taken up by windows.

Once you've done this put the settings back to the way they were to prevent anyone deleting/ altering system files by accident.

Smiler 10:21 19 Sep 03

Have you run scan disk to see if there are any errors that may be causing windows to wrongly report free space. I use win 98 and this happens to me sometimes but once I scan & repair all is OK.

Big Boris 20:06 19 Sep 03

Got it sorted, but at the expense of doing another format and full re-install of XP.

With exactly the same apps etc installed, Drive C now shows that there is 1.61 gigs used (was 3.24)

1) docs and Settings = 32.3 mbs (was 37.2 megs),
2) Program files = 83 megs, (was 296 megs),
3) Windows = 1.03gigs (was 1.3 gigs.)

So I have my 1.6 gigs back, much happier, but still puzzled!
maybe there was a section of the drive had not formatted correctly, and and windows read it as used space.

Thanks for your help,

Boris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…