169.254.x.x / Limited or no connectivity issue

saxifrage 18:33 04 Oct 07

Hello,

First time poster and definitely not a computer whiz, so I hope I describe my problem well enough. I would definitely appreciate any help at all with this.

I have not used wireless internet much until 5 months ago. I was in dormitories and was wired through an ethernet cable to the phone jack. Now I live in a house with two other roomies. The house set up is a router attached to a desktop computer downstairs, and two laptops upstairs. I'm using one of the laptops. Yesterday morning, my internet was working fine. Last night, when I got home from work, my computer had a yellow triangle in the taskbar that said "This connection has limited or no connectivity." Usually what I would do when the internet was acting pokey or sketchy is go downstairs and enter the web-based utility for the Linksys WRT54G router and click on "Save Settings" or "Renew Lease" and that seemed to always get the internet back working. Then again, I only did that when the internet seemed really pokey and slow, never for a "Limited or no connectivity" message. I tried that and nothing helped.

Then I went one step further and reset the router to its original factory settings by using a pencil tip to push that button on the back for 5 seconds. I got out the CD-ROM for reconfiguring the router and started from scratch and completely reinstalled the router.

Still didn't work. My laptop has "limited or on connectivity" and has that wonky 169.254.x.x IP instead of 192.168.1.100-106 which is usually what my router spits out. For what it's worth, the desktop computer's internet works just fine, but that makes sense since the desktop is hardwired to the router through an ethernet cable. The other laptop has the same thing: Limited or no connectivity.

I got online and tried to do some research on the issue. I tried the whole ipconfig /release, /flushdns, and /renew... release and flushdns worked, but renew does not. It says that the request timed out and that it was unable to get a DHCP assigned IP. I even tried something like netsh winsock reset, and it said that was successful, I restarted my computer, still nada.

If anyone could give me some more advice on this matter, I would really appreciate it. It was so bizarre in that it was working fine yesterday morning. I turned off my computer before I left for work. Came back 9 hours later, turned on the computer, and it suddenly says this "Limited or no connectivity" nonsense, and nothing seems to be fixing it. Some people have said it's related to the SP2 release, but I have had SP2 for years now and while I've mostly been hardwired to college ethernet, I have used Wi-Fi in coffeehouses before and the previous 5 months I've used wi-fi at home with absolutely no problem like this.

Thanks for any help you can give.

BurrWalnut 18:57 04 Oct 07

When you cannot acquire IP address or get 169.254.n.n, try typing the WEP/WPA key in hexadecimal rather than as characters.

mgmcc 19:44 04 Oct 07

Having reset the router to factory defaults, you probably need to delete the existing wireless profile and go through the procedure to "Connect" again, when a new profile will be saved.

In other words, run the wireless adapter's software, scan for "Available Wireless Networks", find and highlight the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and select the option to "Connect" to it. You should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

saxifrage 00:27 05 Oct 07

I uninstalled and reinstalled my wireless card. After that, I searched for the available networks, found mine, connected, and whammo, I'm now typing from my computer. Thanks mgmcc. I appreciate the help.

saxifrage 13:49 05 Oct 07

Ugh, okay, maybe this problem isn't resolved after all. My internet worked perfectly fine last night. Then this morning, I got online and it connected (was sending and receiving packets of data), but it wasn't connecting to anything. The internet was running really slowly. I went into the web-based utility for the router and renewed the lease and still had nothing showing up in the browser. At that time, I decided I would bring back 128 bit WEP to the router and entered a passphrase and hit save. (When I restored it to original factory settings, I lost the WEP I had placed on it) A few seconds later, I was dumped from the wireless network and told I had to reconnect. Did that, entered the WEP passphrase, and connected... only get to that dreaded "Limited or no connectivity" message again and that lovely 169.254.x.x. IP again.

irishrapter 14:43 05 Oct 07

If you are using WEP encryption then your router could have, or is being, compromised by some near to you.

WEP is very easy to crack and if someone is using your internet connection then this could explain the slow down you are experiencing.
They could also be changing your router configuration settings if you have left the router login with the default password.

If your hardware is compatible with WPA then try using it with a long random password.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…